What is the Golden Visa Portugal?
O Golden Visa (ARI) is the residence permit for investment activity
granted to third country nationals who realize certain investment
activities in Portugal, including the acquisition of real estate, according to
the criteria stipulated for this purpose.
The programme offers benefits to non-european investors who invest a
minimum amount on portuguese real estate, as defined by law in order
to receive a visa exemption that permits the entenring in the country,
alongside other attractive advantages.
The Golden Visa in Portugal has been around since 2012 and was created
as a way of enabling non-EU citizens the right to gain a residency permit
in exchange for a 5-year real estate investment.
This presentation is specifically about the attribution of Golden Visa
based on the investment made in real estate.
Golden Visa Portugal Benefits
Our main services
We provide a full service in obtaining the Residence Permit under the Golden Visa Portugal Programme and we offer assistance throughout the whole process. Golden Visa Portugal Program.
Among the most requested services we highlight:
Custom Consulting and Representation
We carry out the analysis and identification of the necessary procedures for the chosen investment to apply for the Golden Visa Portugal. We provide the tax registration and the NIF (Tax Identification Number).
We assist with the documentation and application for the investor’s and family members’ Golden Visa, following the entire process up to the issuing and delivery of the Golden Visa Portugal.
We accompany the incorporation of companies, in case this is the option adopted by the holder of the investment. We represent the investor in the acquisition of the property and facilitate all inherent processes, including a bank account opening in a Portuguese financial institution.
Purchase and financing of Real Estate in Portugal
We have qualified practitioners in the real estate, financial and legal areas, in order to present our clients with the best real estate investments, both for renting and for housing, as well as to facilitate the process of obtaining the residence permit in order to enable free movement within the Schengen area, through real estate investment in Portugal.
Golden Visa Portugal General Requirements
The Golden Visa Portugal program was launched by the Government to grant resident status to all real estate investors and respective families wishing to invest in Portugal.
For the Golden Visa (ARI) grant:
- The investment should be maintained for a minimum period of 5 years;
- The funds needed for the investment must have their origin abroad;
- The investment may be made on a personal basis, by the investor (Applicant) of Golden Visa (ARI) or by a shareholder limited liability company of which the investor is the shareholder, with headquarters in Portugal or in the European Union with a permanent establishment in Portugal;
- There must be no indication or reference of the investor at the Foreigners and Border Services, as well as at the Schengen Area Services;
- There must be no condemnation of the investor for a crime which in Portugal is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year;
- The investor must stay in Portugal for at least 7 days during the first year and 14 days during subsequent two-year periods.
Free yourself from doubts and embrace this Consultancy and Representation service, which will give you the necessary confidence in the process of acquisition of a Residence Permit under the Golden Visa Portugal Program.
Golden Visa Family Members Program
The holder of the Golden Visa (ARI) is entitled to the reunification of family members who, although they are not in Portuguese territory, are dependent on or cohabit with the holder of the ARI, regardless of whether the family ties are previous or posterior their entry into Portugal.
For the family reunification purpose, members of the family of the Golden Visa
(ARI) holder shall be considered:
- Minor or incapable children in charge of the couple or one of the spouses;
- Older children in charge of the couple or one of the spouses, who are single and students, regardless of the country where their educational institution is located;
- Minors adopted by the applicant when not married, by the applicant or by the spouse;*
- Ascendants in the straight line and in the 1st degree of the resident or his/her spouse, provided that they are in their charge;
- Minor siblings, provided that they are under the guardianship of the resident*.
*The adoption and guardianship decisions referred to above must be in harmony and recognized by the Portuguese legal order.
Know everything about Golden Visa Portugal
Download our brochure now
Real Estate Investments
I. Acquisition of real estate property of an amount equal or above 500.000€* – Applicable to all types of real estate investments available;
II. Acquisition and execution of works of real estates, on the amount equal or above 350.000€* – The investor who chooses this type of investment must purchase and implement rehabilitation works on the real estate property, on a total amount equal to or above than €350.000. The particularity of this type of real estate investment is the fact that the property must have been built at least 30 years ago OR it must be in an urban rehabilitation area. In this last case, the real estate may have less than 30 years old.
III. Acquisition and execution of works of real estates – minimum investment of 280.000€ – This level of investment is applicable to property in sparsely populated areas.
*download our brochure to learn more about the different levels of investment.
Validity Periods, Stay and Renewals
- The Golden Visa Portugal (ARI) program is a temporary residence permit valid for a period of one year, counted from the date of its issuance, and the holder may apply for renewal for successive periods of 2 years, provided that the necessary requirements for its concession are maintained;
- For the granting and renewal of the residence permit for investment (Golden Visa / ARI) applicants (investors) must regularize their stay in Portugal, within 90 days of first entry into national territory;
- For renewal, the applicant must demonstrate his stay in national territory for at least: 7 days, followed or interpolated, in the first year and 14 days, followed or interpolated, in each of the subsequent 2-year periods.
Who is Eligible
All third-country citizens who conduct an investment activity, as an individual business person or through a company set up in Portugal or in another EU Member State and who, in addition, are stably settled in Portugal, provided these citizens fulfil the quantitative requirements and the time requirements set out by the relevant legislation, may apply for a residence permit for investment.
The amount of documentation needed to acquire Portugal’s permanent residency by investment varies according to the level of investment. For a 500k investment you will need the following documents:
I. Final Deed of Sale or Promise Purchase and Sale Agreement;
II. Declaration issued by an official financial institution, established in Portugal, duly authorized by Banco de Portugal, confirming an international bank transfer for purchase or payment as the initial deposit of the sales contract;
III. Certificate of Property Registration that proves ownership of the property;
IV. Official Tax Description of the Real Estate, when Legally feasible;
V. Certificate of the Commercial Registry of the limited liability company, when the latter is the owner of the property.
In addition to the value of investment in real estate, the investor will be committed to paying other values *, such as:
- Payment of the property reservation;
- Fee for submitting the ARI grant application ( Golden Visa Portugal;);
- Cost of issuing a residence permit for the investment activity;
- Fee for granting a residence permit for family members grouped with holders of a residence permit for investment activity;
- Residence permit renewal fee for investment activity;
- Renewal fee for residence permit for family members grouped with residence permit holders for investment activity.
*download our brochure to find out more about SEF application fees and associated amounts.